Aneurysm size and how many?

Just curious about the sizes of people annies and how many you have and which 1 if any burst etc etc

sorry for been nosy:oops:

donna

I have 2 one coiled which was 5mm on the anterior communicating artery and one untreated 2mm not sure where

Edited by donnamarie

No idea! LOL I had an aneurysm on the ACOM (ascending communicating) artery and it ruptured. There was so much blood they couldn't see anything to coil, so I had a craniotomy. The aneurysm was clipped but I have no idea what size it was. They didn't tell me what grade it was either, just "a significant bleed". As far as I know, I have no other aneurysms to worry about.

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your kind reply to my mail.

My first Annie 11 years ago, was the size of the old 5 pence that we had. Very big, as it was laying on my optic nerve, they had to be very careful dealing with that one, because of my sight. Had a ballon put into that one, as the coils would have just floated through the Annie.

Before they did it, they had to make an Annie at the back of my head, to make sure I would be ok when the did it for really. Had to spend 30 mins like this, as when they did the real one with the ballon. As they could not put me to sleep, in case I had a stroke. So I heard all that one being sorted out.

At least with the second one in Sept, I was put to sleep, which I did'nt expect after the first one. I was so pleased to be knocked out. Last thing I remember was saying I will go to sleep won't I. I was gone.

All I know about my second Annie it was no where near as big as the first.

Hope you are having a nice day

Love Sonia xxxxx

Hi there

I have two together - what they call a clover stem apparently :roll:. the larger one, between 2.5mm and 3.5mm (I believe) burst and is coiled - the other was smaller and didn't burst but has been coiled. Can't remember the location other than kind of behind by right eye but my brain scan is in the gallery.

I havent a clue! i was told on my first 3 month follow up that i had just the one anni that burst which was on the Left Posterior Communicating Artery and then when i went back a few weeks ago i asked him what grade my sah was and i was told it was about a grade 2

Take Care

Vicky xx

I know I have been told the size of the ruptured aneursym and the unruptured one, but can I remember - no! I don't even know how many coils I had put in at the outset or how many were added later - maybe at one of my appointments I will remember to ask these questions:roll:. I do remember that the one that ruptured was larger than the other one.

Sarah

Hi Donnamarie

After finding this site before my 1st follow-up appointment, I made notes of lots of questions to ask, hence why I know the size and location of my annie.

I also know that I had 1 micro-plex framing and 3 hydro-coils put in it?! I have no idea what a microplex framing is but I know that I have 1! :)

I apparently had a grade 1 bleed.

Kel x

Edited by KelBel

I was a complete newbie to the world of brain haem's, aneurysms or SAH ..... was never offered the information or asked it, as didn't know anything about aneurysms ..... didn't have a clue at the time and wasn't capable of asking the questions ... hence setting up this site 12 months later, when I was still struggling, both physically and mentally.

I haven't got a clue what the grade of my bleed was, but I was having full on seizures at home and on admittance and post coiling..... but can't remember a thing .... but, I did take part in a study for hydro-gel coiling .... thinks that's right! .... Have been given little information.

Good advice Momo. It's best to be prepared for the visit with consultants by having your list of questions ready. My Occupational Health advisor suggested I say 'I have this list of questions, may we please go through them together? It's important to my recovery that I understand what has happened to me'. Once I said that to the neurologist he relaxed and gave me a full hour. I had the impression prior that he was a busy man with his pager going off and I was going to be lucky to get 15 minutes.

Sandi K.

Hi Donna Marie,

I have 3. I don't know the sizes of the 2 that were coiled when I had the bleed, except that they were large. I had the 3rd coiled 3 months later - i'm told it was small at 3mm. My bleed I believe was a grade 1 which I think is small (although classed a significant bleed?). If that was a small bleed I count myself very, very lucky as the effects have massively disrupted my life and obviously it would be far worse if it was a higher grade bleed?

I'm not sure if the grade of bleed or the area it took place in is of most significance but would be grateful to hear from those who do know.

Just for interest I was told that each coil (no idea how many in total) costs £6000, don't tell my kids, they'll dig them out for e-bay if the worst happens :lol:

Best wishes,

Michelle x

thanks everyone for the reply it funny how some people are told size some are told which coils how many some are told excatly where etc evry doctor must be different i must ask how many coils ive had :confused:

thanks donna

the one i had that burst was 8mm that was on the top of my brain i have another at the vfront witch is 8mm and they say a cluster at the back of my head so dont no how many that is got to go for my 3 month check up on wait for it friday the 13th may .so hope to be told they are going to coil the 8mm one and hoping to go back to work then can any one tell be if they get like a burning at the back of your head and very hichy

I have 2 aneurysms. The one that ruptured is about 5mm in size and the other one that has since been coiled is only a couple of mm's in size. My bleed was classed as a grade 1 bleed, which is the least in a scale of 1 - 5. I have just uploaded some images from the angiogram that was done where you can see both of my aneurysms and coilings. I asked them at my latest checkup if I could have copies of all of my CT scans and angiograms and they very kindly burnt them on a CD. There are over 300 images. Here is the link to my album if you are interested in having a look.

http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=149

My wife was found to have 12 aneurysms, 2 of which I believe were aneurysms on aneurysms . Her bleed was coiled then two craniotomy ops clipped and wrapped the rest. Don`t know the location or size of them, was probably told, but did not really take in everything that was said at the time.

Hello ddson,

That is an incredibly terrifying amount of anni's (I would spell it in full if I could remember how to!)

Can I ask how your wife is recovering? I only have vague knowledge of coils - clipping & wrapping is unknown to me but I am really shocked at 12 annis.

I was told that as I have 3 it is 'highly likely' this is a congenital defect & I am at high risk of developing more. Hope it is ok to ask what you & your wife have been told after they discovered 12?

Wishing you both the very best of good luck, Michelle x

Hello Michelle

My wife was 57 when she had her haemorrhage in Sept 2009, the aneurysm was part of a group of three, this was successfully coiled then clipped later. The other large aneurysms were also clipped to prevent any more blood entering them. The smaller ones were of a size that could not be clipped but could not be left untreated. These were wrapped with fabric impregnated with a hardening gel, to support the arteries and prevent the aneurysms expanding any further. They do not believe there will be any more trouble with the aneurysms treated by the clips or wraps. Between the two craniotomy ops she came home for six weeks to build her strength up. They were not happy for her to do this but she needed to come home to get her mind round what was happening to her.

Alongside the tiredness and lethargy she has lost her sense of taste and smell, probably from the bleed but other than that she feels OK in herself. Because she looks well, if a bit tired looking, I think friends and ex workmates find it hard to accept what has happened to her. She can get a bit low but she says she tells her self, " get a hold of your self your still living and there are others worse off ".

As to whether it is a congenital defect they could not be sure as her mother, died at 63, and others in her extended family have died of this, it could be genetic. Her twin brother and our daughter have both been scanned and both are clear.

All the best for the future and hope all goes well for you, David

Edited by ddson

Hi David,

I think most people on here have had to go through the bit where friends, colleagues etc think you are ok because you look normal again, they can't see how you feel inside so are often unable to understand.

It's good news that the Drs feel she won't have any more problems. Thank you for explaining how wrapping works, it's amazing what they can do! I wish her well for her continued recovery.

Michelle

Just curious about the sizes of people annies and how many you have and which 1 if any burst etc etc

sorry for been nosy:oops:

donna

I have 2 one coiled which was 5mm on the anterior communicating artery and one untreated 2mm not sure where

I have two also. one on left which is small and one on the right half coiled. Not sure of sizes

• 6 months later...