Project - Various

Hi All, Mark was 45 when he had his SAH in Nov 09 it was not caused by an aneurysm but it was an acute bleed in the right basal cisterns and the right sylvian fissure.

After being sent to the wrong clinic in Dec to see a Consultant they then sent him an appointment through for August mainly because his CT scan was normal and he was not an urgent case. We have now got it changed to Feb as Mark wants to ask a load of questions.

From what i have read it appears that the majority of SAH does affect woamen more than men.

Love Diane xx

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Karen & Co

What age were you when you had the SAH?

I was 31. (3.5 years ago)

Had SAH 6 weeks previously to the main event, but misdiagnosed as migraine. also suspected I had another 2 small bleeds. (amazing what the body can cope with)

Never smoked, Occasionally elevated blood pressure, but not medicated. like a glass of wine or two. Otherwise healthy. I did have a couple of migraine attacks in the year and week up to the SAH, not something I suffered from previously. (Although my family do have a history of migraines.)

Do you know what artery was affected?

Left PICA, 1 Anuerysm.

Some of the log in names are non-gender specific, so if it applies to you, are you male or female?

I'm a Lady :wink:

Were you coiled or clipped or non-aneurysm or other?

Coiled.

Sorry did get slightly sidetracked at the top there.

Aine

Hi Karen

I was 37 when I had my SAH 11th Dec 2009 (following a massive nosebleed 7th Dec...)

Misdiagnosed as a 'virus' 13th Dec 2009

Diagnosed as possible bleed 15th Dec 2009 and 1 aneurysm located in the right posterior communicating artery, measuring 13mm x 13mm x 8mm

Bleed located 16th Dec 2009

Coiled 18th Dec 2009

I smoked for 19years but gave up 3 years ago on the 8th Jan. I was a heavy smoker for many years, smoking about 30-a-day.

I have no children.

I was on blood pressure medication for about 4-5 mths pre-SAH and had suffered borderline high blood pressure for many years prior to that.

I had suffered migraines for 7 years pre-SAH and regular nosebleeds for at least a year pre-SAH. (Both parents also suffered migraines when they were younger).

I never met my dads mum as she died in her 50's after suffering a massive brain haemorrhage and collapsing in Slough High Street.

I have suffered only one large nosebleed since the op; which happened the day before I was discharged from my local hospital (not the operating hospital).

I had experienced the worst night of my life and I think the stress of that, coupled with the fact my medication was 6hrs late, caused it.

I have not had a nosebleed since I was discharged from hospital 24th Dec 09. Yet I was told that the nosebleeds were not related. I beg to differ.

Kelley x

Hi Karen,

In response to your enquiry:

What age were you when you had the SAH?

I was 46

Minor smoker and drinker, with elevated blood pressure, controlled with drugs.

Do you know what artery was affected?

Left A1/A" junctional anuerysm.

Left PICA aneurysm

Some of the log in names are non-gender specific, so if it applies to you, are you male or female?

still female!

Were you coiled or clipped or non-aneurysm or other?

Left A1/A" junctional anuerysm - coiled.

Left PICA - craniotomy , and clipped.

• 2 weeks later...

What age were you when you had the SAH? 26

Do you know what artery was affected? nope :( Will ask when i have my follow up appointment though!

Some of the log in names are non-gender specific, so if it applies to you, are you male or female? Male

Were you coiled or clipped or non-aneurysm or other? non-aneurysm

Hi Karen.

I'm male. Or so the Mrs says :)

I was 34 when I had my aneurysm. Was coiled in the same year.

Not sure of the name of the artery (Posibly John :) ), but I know it was just next to the brain stem. Sorry I can't be any more help.

I am female. I was 39 when I had my NASAH, they said it was actually from a vein instead of an artery, that is why I didn't need surgery or coiling. They didn't say where it occured but I heard the "pop" at the back of my head, but when they did the contrast-angiogram they released the dye behind my left eye. How did all these people get so much info on where there's happened!

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm new here but so happy to have found you!

Me, I'm female. My SAH was 3 days before my 50th birthday , 2 months ago. It was the ACA and it was clipped. I had my daughter in 1990 but didn't go through labour as I had a caesarean for foetal distress 10 days early. I did however have a fractured skull aged 3 and was injured in a car accident at 16... Who knows if they are factors!

• 1 month later...
Guest Pompeyfaith

Greetings All

I was 27 when I had my SAH this was in April 1990

I had an aneurysm of the left middle cerebral artery that caused a subarachnoid haemorrhage

I am male

My SAH resulted in open brain surgery to clip the artery as back then coiling and stenting was not available.

• 7 months later...

Hi Karen i was wondering if you ever found out any more information on this ???

sorry in advance if u have im just been nosey

As you may know from previous posts, that I'm continuing with some personal research into SAH, which I'm looking to add to the homepage....there's a lot of valuable information on this website and it would be beneficial to all, if we can put it in one place.

The ratio of women to men experiencing a SAH is 3:2 ...... therefore, it's more prevalent in females .... So, it begs the question, as to why? I've often wondered whether there is some correlation with pregnancy and childbirth. As my migraine headaches developed (even though they stopped after teenage years) and I started to experience aura, after the birth of my 2nd child....

I've recently read in medical papers, that women in their 3rd trimester of pregnancy are also prone to having a SAH ......which is v.interesting and something that I will look into further.

I would really appreciate it, if all of you ladies, that have contributed to this topic, add whether or not, you had children before your SAH.

Many thanks.

Hi Donna,

I haven't recently studied any more medical papers and it's something that I will pick up again and look into at a future date. Like a lot of medical papers, they can be quite a hard slog to read through and none of the research is actually conclusive. However, the question still remains as to why there is a higher incidence of SAH in females, so maybe hormones do come into play to a degree.

Will let you know if I find any more info. xx

Karen curious to know if car accidents have any effect on people having SAH's. I had a rear ended ump in Spet 2009 & didn#'t really suffer any whiplash but I do remember being thrown forward & then back aginst the headrest so I wonder if the force of the imapact was concentrated in my head? I'm sure I read in Jane Laprotaires book that a car accident can cause prolems???

Thanks Gary for the info!

Gill, I can't really answer your question as it's probably an unknown quantity to a degree, as to whether or not your car accident exacerbated or triggered problems. However, I would doubt that it would cause an aneurysm to form, but I'm not a medic and can only tell you what I've read and to be honest, I've not seen any links with car accidents and aneurysm formation.

Most of us are told that we're probably born with a weakness in the vessel wall and with wear and tear over many years, the vessel wall becomes thinner and weaker and balloons. Hence the importance to keep blood pressure under control and not making the arteries work any harder than they should do.

I think that in the early months and years of recovery, many of us look for answers as to why and wonder whether certain events were associated with the SAH, but to be honest, the simplest answer is the one that the medics give us and that it's a weakness that we were born with and for some people an aneurysm will never rupture in their life time and they won't even know that it's there.

As you can see from many people on this site, the most common age for SAH are people in their 40's - 50's and I suppose in those 40 or 50 years, a weak artery has had many years of wear and tear to contend with since birth, so to me, being told that we're probably born with it, does make the most sense. xx

After what Karen has stated, I had a head injury that caused my anni to burst (my opinion only) but this happened almost immediately not days down the line. Personally I think that it was the raising of my blood pressure after the injury, as I was so angry, that caused it to pop.

This is just my belief, NOT medical opinion. I suppose really I just want to find answers as to why it happened.

As most other people I didn't know what was lurking in my head.