Sammy - New Member

Hello my name is Sam. I had a SAH on 25th April 2014, I spent 4 wks in ICU Dereford Plymouth and a further 9 wks in a neuro ward. My aneurysm was coiled and I have been fitted with a VP shunt. Although it has been nearly a year, I still suffer with fatigue, trouble sleeping, not very confident in social enviroments. Contemplating in returning to work next month.

I am so pleased to find this site as it can be so lonely sometimes, although you have family surrounding you you still feel on your own. There are so many questions i would like answered, so I will look forward in getting to know and learning more about SAH.

• Like 1

Hi sammy

Welcome to the group. Glad you found the site and hopefully you will get lots of help here and find some comfort and answers as I have since joining.

You share a Similar story to myself. A pretty long stay in hospital and VP shunt to boot and it all takes a good while to settle and adjust to and achieve a state that is steady. In fact that's my ambition even now three years on, I hope for steady days and when they come round then I'm happy.

Regular routine in the day is very helpful especially when you are returning to work, if you add something in then give it time to settle and try and do things a bit at a time. Good luck with it. Don't Rush is my advice.

I didn't realise how much my confidence was knocked after the time in hospital and post bleed but with time that has improved but I still don't enjoy busy social stuff now when I used to love it but I enjoy oth things more.

Others will be along to welcome you, ask anything, the strangeness in recovery post SAH is all something we can help you understand I hope.

Take care

• Like 4

Hi Sam,

It is scary, my surgeon said to me "No Stress" he insisted that was important.

We are the survivors and we can help each other,  mind you I do think singing is the be all and end all to problems. ha

Welcome to the shunt club along with a few more of us

You will be okay and when you don't feel well rest.  Others will say drink water as your brain needs water.

Ask for a letter from your brain and someone will give you the link xx

Now please be sure you are okay before you rush back to work and when you get used to this site I will sing a song for you.. Now there is something to look forward to !!!  ha

You will be fine xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx

• Like 4

Hi Sam and welcome aboard! This site is brilliant for support and advice and I'm sure you will gain a lot from it and the people here. Sometimes it's useful to have somewhere to post a question away from family, and to let your guard down a bit, without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Mandy x

• Like 3

Hello Sammy

Also welcome to BTG

Just take time to look around the site for topics relevant to you and you will find so much help.

My wife had her SAH nearly four years ago- and this site will be a great help to your own immediate family too.

Keep looking after yourself and take care and patience to grow stronger and build up your new life-

Best wishes in your recovery

• Like 4

Hi Sam :)

A very warm welcome to BTG !

Glad you found us...we are a very friendly supportive group.

Look forward to hearing more from you and please feel free to join in the daily banter in The Green Room too.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 2

Hi Sammy,

Welcome to BTG!  Lonely is a familiar word to BTG'ers, even though there are lots of people around.

It's because what you have just experienced is a lonely experience and others around you have not so there is an instant feeling of isolation on your part.  It's a bit like when you go into town on your own - lots of people around but none you can talk to because they don't know you.

Now you have been in 'hospital town'  and no-one knows what you brought home!  Except fellow sufferers.  That's us!  So when you need us, we are here.

I would advise two things:

1)  Keep a diary so you can chart your progress - you'll be amazed at how much you've made.  Sometimes people think they're not making much progress, but they are.  A bit like when you've not seen someone for a while and they've grown, or lost weight  - they don't recognise the change but others do!

2)  Delay going back to work for as long as you can and when you do go, make sure it is on a phased return.  After an event like this, your body has an abrupt way of telling you that you have done to much!  Working, going from nothing to full time, will almost certainly be too much in one leap so doing it in stages is best, in my opinion.

Looking forward to hearing of your progress!

Macca

• Like 3

Hi Sammy

Welcome to the site and to the family  :) 

I was treated at Derriford too (2006) - I had the best care in the world there - they were brill so I hope you had the same level of care.  I was on holiday in Devon at the time of my SAH.  My fatigue and headaches lasted about a year and then slowly started to ease.

I hope we can answer any questions that you may have  - they're a great bunch on here and we have a wealth of knowledge and a tonne of experience.

Take care of you

Sami xx 

• Like 2

Hi Sam welcome to the group I had my SAH 9 months ago and I came to BTG only a few weeks ago and it is brilliant I feel better just being able to talk to other people who have been through the same thing. I also have problems with sleep I also had problems with social environments but I am getting better with that.

The key words are plenty of rest, plenty of water and most of all give yourself plenty of time, your brain and your body have been through a massive trauma and need lots of time to recover you have come to the right place for a lot of support, its nice to be able to off load to people who understand how you are feeling. Wait till Win sings to you that will make you :) I know it has made me smile.

Good luck with your recovery, take care michelle     

• Like 3

Hi Sam welcome,

I have found this site extremely helpful and friendly, I had my SAH on 12th January 2015 (no shunt) and just knowing people understand has been both supportive and informative. Like yourself I still struggle with sleep and headaches but I feel extremely lucky that I survived. Whilst I had excellent care in hospital I did feel a bit abandoned when I came home after having such intensive monitoring.

My family have been great but sometimes it is very hard because physically you look the same but you are not the same. I am thinking too about returning to work soon and I am anxious if that I will be able to cope. As Michelle mentions Win's singing helps to bring some smiles and is a great tonic.

• Like 1