New member - Issy

Issy

Hi Issy

Sorry to hear about your SAH. Most people here have suffered the same, mine was in February. You will find lots of help, advice and friendship here. 

Look forward to hearing more about you.

Clare xx

• Like 2

Hi Issy

Welcome. Sorry to hear you've had an SAH, you are in good company here. I had my SAH this January, so still very much trying to make sense of things. Of all the support I have had post my SAH I have learnt the most here and is the place I turn when things are getting to me. The folks here are some of the most generous of spirit, and whether you just read the posts others have made  (which I do more often) or poke your head above the parapet to ask advice or just vent then this is a perfect place for that.

It's a journey on so many levels post SAH, everyone's journey is slightly different, but this place is a great place to help you do it with a bit more of a smile and not feel quite so alone

greg.

• Like 4

Hi Issy,

Welcome to BTG. Sorry to hear you had an SAH but so glad you found this site, it will help you so much with your recovery. There are lots of very generous spirited and wise folk on here, all at various stages of recovering from an SAH so if ever you're worried about an aspect of your recovery, or anything really, just ask and you'll get lots of great advice.

My SAH was in February this year and this site has really helped me as I, in common with many others on here, have not had a great amount of support from the healthcare system, so to be able to communicate with others who are going through exactly the same emotions/experiences has without doubt helped to keep me sane! I look forward to hearing more about what happened to you.

Best Wishes,

Janey xx

• Like 4

Hello everybody,
The day I typed in that message I didn't realise it had actually worked so please forgive me for not checking back in!! Massive apologies! Think I was having a bad day trying to concentrate(or not as it seems!)
Thank you for all your lovely comments, I am really glad I found this site and have read lots on the forums which has helped a great deal.

I am now just about 7 weeks since my SAH and was in hospital for two. I had coiling done for a ruptured PICA aneurysm. So, I think I have been very very lucky to come out the other end with the majority of me intact! I did however give my hubby and kids (teenage) a huge fright.! I am at home and being pampered to a degree but beginning to manage a bit more about the house and outside.

Still feel a bit dizzy and wobbly on my legs sometimes (anyone else have that?) but it is slowly improving. Going out for walks everyday with my hubby just to strengthen up and get some confidence. Hearing is a bit of an issue as noise seems to really bother me, hoping this gets better too.

Anyway, that's my story, looking forward to reading more on BTG- fantastic site- so relieved to speak to others who understand .
Issy x

• Like 4

Hi Issy

Early days for you but everything you are experiencing sounds normal. I too had the dizziness and wobbly legs for a while, going out walking helped so sounds like you are doing the right thing. Noise still bothers me, especially if lots of people talking at the same time but it's better than the early days when I couldn't bear the TV.

Look forward to hearing more from you, I am off to work now  :mellow: not looking forward to it, the sun is out and I have the end of week tiredness.

Clare xx

Hi Issy,

Big welcome to BTG sorry to hear about your SAH, we have all been there I had mine 

June 2014, I still have the odd wobbly day but I now have more good days than bad,

You have come to the right place for help and advice, this site has been a god send to

me, it`s just nice to know you have other people who really understand what you are

feeling and what you are going through it is sometimes difficult to get that across to

family and friends, the people on BTG are a fantastic support, everyone has a lot

valuable information which will go a long way to helping you as you recover.

Sounds like you have a wonderful family and with there love and support you will

get there, just make sure you have plenty of rest, I found drinking plenty of water

helped with some of the fuzzy head symptoms.

Good luck on your recovery journey

Love

Michelle xx

Hi Clare and Michelle,
Thank you. Yes some good days and bad days but been told that's what to expect so just being patient!!! Lucky in that I can have a bit of time off of work so able to concentrate on getting better.
Yes noise, just started being able to watch a bit of tv but the volume has to be low, :( can't cope with cars , the Hoover, or lots of people yapping at once at the moment. Sure they will get better, fingers crossed.

Yes my family have even surprised me! My hubby and kids have been great. We talk a lot about what happened as 'it' happened in the living toon right in front of them. For them I think talking has helped with their anxiety. My kids are 14 and 15 so a lot for them to deal with.
Thanks
Issy x

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply, it's a bit mad with the noise issue as for the first two weeks I felt quite deaf!!! Been a total turnaround and now it is just really sensitive. I have been using wax ear plugs which have helped when things are too noisy. Just got to give it time, I know I am getting there, just can't have everything fixed at once !!

Thanks again,

Issy

Aw that isn't so good. Yes noise and movement make me feel quite giddy/dizzy/useless! Hoping it gets better if not, have to rethink a few things and learn to live with it. Only been out in the car a couple of times (not me driving- hubby) :) can just cope, no radio on though, sunglasses on and staring down at my lap to avoid looking at moving traffic which makes me dizzy.

Hi Issy. I was very wobbly and unbalanced and it really took a while for me before I got to grips with it but we are all very different in effects based on bleed location and severity. I used a stick to help me on those walks you are now doing and even now on bad days I carry one as I can go off balance, but overall it is massively improved given time.

Ear plugs are very useful to help block noise and TV in small bursts was fine after a while but only if it wasn't dramatic TV So I found I had a sudden liking for the Waltons!!

Sound like you already have the sunglasses trick to block things. Main thing is to reduce the amount of brain over stimulation for a while as you heal so give yourself some space from intense situations and noise and build it gradually. Rest in between periods of increased intensity if you can.

Glad kids are doing ok, must have been hard for them to witness and see their mum so ill but they will be relieved to have you home just be cautious you dont rush into super mum mode , let them continue to help and appreciate that you need help to go at this gently.

Good luck. Steady now.

Hi Issy,

I also had coiling and I know the others will laugh as I always say this to people who are new to this SAH thingy.

No Stress my surgeon said to me,  as we need happiness around us, so if you have friends who tell you their

problems do not listen to them.  I don't mean this horrid but you need happiness, not worries so a song or whatever makes you happy, just do it xx

I wish you well on recovery and anytime you need a rant or rave come on here xx

Good  luck to You and your family xx  Now go and take things slowly and we will be here if you are worried.

Winb143 xx xx

• Like 2

Hi Win,

Ha thank you, trying to keep the majority of things stress free- even my two teenagers are managing with that.

I am happy chillin and now another day closer to getting better.

Issy xxx

• Like 1

Hi Issy

Welcome to BTG- Glad you joined the site soon after your SAH-  it took me almost four years before I came across BTG !

My wife had her SAH May 2011 so I am seeing things from your husband`s viewpoint- I was sitting by her bedside in hospital when she lost consciousness-she had been receiving tests for other health issues and had been in hospital for five weeks.

So tell hubby that there is lots of support here as he is facing a life changing journey too- and there will be highs and lows for both of you as you try and help each other come to terms with your SAH.

You will find time and time again as you read posts-that taking time and patience with your progress is so important-

I wish you and your family strength for the weeks-months ahead and look forward to reading of your progress

Subs

Hi Subs,

Thank you, yes my hubby he has been just fantastic but I do worry that he won't look for help. He couldn't sleep last week all down to anxiety and worrying something might happen! We are supporting each other, that's what it's all about.

I am so glad I joined BTG, you have all been so lovely and welcoming .

Issy. X

• Like 1

Hi Issy, sorry I'm late in welcoming you aboard!  Nice to meet you, although under other circumstances would have been nicer!

It's still very early days for you, so you are doing the right thing in taking it steady.  My sah was nearly 7 years ago, but I remember the wobbly feeling - with hindsight the two places I would have avoided, but didn't, were department stores and football stadiums. Both made me feel very peculiar - a combination of noise and crowds just don't mix well after brain injury.

I had only gone to the football match to bring some normality to my then 8 year old son, but he was actually more concerned about me than the football and said "Mum, we can go home if you want".    Like you, I also had two teenagers at the time, so I can empathise with your situation.

Recovery does take time - and plenty of it, but things do and will become easier - I wish you well,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thank you. I did find that a wee trip to the shop (lidl) just to pop in and get fresh fruit etc was really traumatic with me giving up after just a few minutes and going out to lie down on the backseat if the car and leaving my hubby to finish the shop! (Which he managed fine!) that was about 5 weeks post SAH and my first big trip put of the house.

I just find noise and movement around me really unsettling. It's a weird kind of off balance feeling. It does make me very nervous about going out and about and I have to have someone with me for now.

I try and go out walking a couple of times a day which I am finding helps.

My kids are good but they still have their 'teenage' moments but I do try to ignore their nonsense- can't deal with any stress! On the whole I can't complain about them or their dad, they have all had to make some changes for me.

We are getting there.

Thanks again

Issy x

• Like 1