was your SAH preceeded by exercise or something strenous ?

SAH preceeded by strenous or physical activity ?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. SAH preceeded by strenous or physical activity ?

• yes
    • no

Hi Surfer,

I was in an extremely stressful meeting at the time of my event. I had been dreading the meeting for days beforehand. I had taken a 5 month break from the treadmill and start up again about 2 weeks prior to the NASAH. I always work my way up though, I don't think I overdid it on the treadmill...?

Sandi K

Hi Surfer,

no strenous activity beforehand on my part. Though my whole life was "hurry, hurry". That was my nature. Now my life is dominated by fatigue, but,in truth , my brain still says, I ought to "make use of every moment". The tiredness stops me doing that, and, despite that, the guilt consumes me. :frown:

Sally x

I seem to be able to find some stress in everything I do... I am a natural born worrier, and it comes from being such a perfectionist I believe...

I had not felt right the weekend before my SAH, and had been away for a weekend in Germany visiting a friend. We had walked about 300+ steps up to Heidelberg Castle ruins, and about every 8-10 steps I had to keep stopping and catching my breath, and I had not been that unfit?! It was very odd. My breathing was difficult and labored...I was also extrememly tired all weekend. (I still managed somehow to get to the top!?! :crazy: )

I came back home on the Monday, was back at work Tues through to Fri lunchtime, when I had half day to go home and get ready for my works Xmas do.

I got home, had some lunch then needed an afternoon nap... went to a friends to get ready, had a highly diluted vodka & diet coke, and carried on getting ready. As I bent to backcomb my hair in front of the mirror my head felt strange, it was like something went pop and heat spread through my head... My head felt cotton-woolly and my scalp was sweaty... I felt hot and a little bit nauseous, but after standing outside to cool down a bit (it was December and I had no shoes on...) I then headed off for my party!! still feeling not right...but thinking i had pulled a muscle in my neck...

4 days later I went to hospital and had a CT scan, then a CT scan with dye, then later a lumbar puncture...

5 days later I learnt that I had had an SAH and would need to be coiled

7 days later I was coiled - suffering vasospasm

Lucky to be here still me thinks ;)

x

The 18 months preceding my sah was the most stressful of my life.

There did not seem any respite to it and it was a constant preoccupation.

Interesting to hear how others have mentioned stress as a factor. Maybe there are some interesting lessons we can learn from this.

I'm not saying stress caused my sah, (I simply don't know,) but I never wish to return to that kind of life; and I am confident that I have learnt too much after my sah to do so.

Lynne

HI, I had been in hospital and had my gall bladder removed on the friday. Was supposed to be a day case but felt unwell - hurt to breath and chest pain - so they kept me in overnight. They sent me out on saturday, I was still unwell but put it down to the operation. On the monday afternoon went down to stay with my daughter - sent hubby out fishing and I was going to relax and read until she came home from work. I remember going to the loo but nothing after that - apparently I collapsed and she found me later when she finished work at 9.30pm - don't know how long I had been there - a couple of hours I think. Still not sure whether the SAH happened whilst i was in hospital or whether it was when I went the loo - but apart from the obvious stress of the operation I was quite laid back.

My theory is that stress and exercise makes BP rise which in turn will cause an anni to pop.

In my case I was hit on the head by a flying object sent by some child, I was so angry my BP must have gone sky high in spite of it always being on the low side.

The rest is history.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS JUST MY OPINION NOT A MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS.

As far as I'm aware, any thing that makes your blood pressure rise temporarily, can trigger the SAH .... such as exercise, sex, lifting, bowel movement etc .... there's probably an endless list of possibilities, but the weakness has to be there in the first place for the bleed to happen.

My sah was preceded by acute emotional stress. There were four major events happening; work stress, mother & daughter stress and finally one that made me blow a fuse! A young man, a close friend who suffered bi-polar, was having a manic turn and let it be known he was off to kill himself. I spent hours after midnight searching the woods for him, only to find him unconscious but alive. Suffice to say, I will never jeopardise my own health again!! Too much stress is bad for the brain!! I am still annoyed with myself for not taking better self-care in this event!!!

I too had been suffering from stress at work for a month or so before my SAH.

The bleed happened when I was power walking to work - pushing hard and strong going up a hill. Think it was probably the strain of pushing myself so hard that caused the bleed

There was no cause for the SAH found and i am now frightened to exert my self again

Hi

Mine happened after bending down to pick shoes up. But i was extremely stressed the months leading upto it. The year before my daughter had a major op which went wrong and she was bleeding to death. She was in icu and was touch and go for 3 days having blood transfusions. The year before that she had another major op on hips and chest, and just before that had pneumonia which nearly killed her. So it has been extremely stressful here, my parents always said the stress will kill me if im not careful.

I think stress is a big contributor to the bleeds but the weakness must hav been there waiting to pop.

Traci S xxx

I've said yes as I running (not Jogging/just late) :D when the Big One blew.

But the previous bleed, I was feeling in bad form nothing particular (exhausted and cold) I had just got out of bed and it went. in retrospect I was very stressed around about that time.

Whilst not averse to a bit of furniture moving, it was not what I was doing prior to sah.

Stress is what I blame for my bleed, or rather the rising of bp caused by the stress, putting the annie under strain and causing it to burst. Some of the stress I was under is documented in my story but that is only a small insight into the whole picture. The majority of stress I have been under over the past 10 years has been unpreventable - it even becomes stressful worrying what effect continued stress is having on my unruptured aneursym:roll:

I do however, try to remain optimistic and have a sense of humour:-D

Sarah

Edited by kempse

When I read the heading for this I felt angry as it brought it all back, i.e.,the events leading up to. Too many people squeezing too much out of me!

I am going to make sure I enrol for meditation and yoga this year to help keep a calmer inner balance. Anyone care to join me?

Kempse, what page is your story on?

I had just put the dinner on the table for the kids when mine happened, But five months earlier i had just moved from Wales to Perth Australia.Before the move i had to pack up our lives, house and my business ( Hairdresser) said goodbye to all my clients which i'd had for over 15years, all my family and move to the other side of the world. So it was the most stressful time in my life!! Then we landed here in WA with no family friends and nowhere to live. So we got it all sorted just started to enjoy our new life and BANG my head poped:crazy:

With no reason for the bleed, i think it was stress and running a a million miles an hr. I worked full time run a business and had four kids when i lived in the UK, then we moved , so i think my lifestyle had a big factor.

Hey there

Mine happened a few minutes after making love with my husband, but had been under heaps of stress and running myself ragged for years - running own business, getting child to and picking up from school/parents so a multitude of factors really - and it happened on the only family holiday we'd had for six years - typical :roll:

Hi

My stressful life hit a peak 4 months pre SAH and the bleed came after a very stressful weekend. My youngest son had been assaulted. So I think my blood pressure was spiking on and off regularly in the months leading up to it, although when I'd had it checked by my GP a few months before he said it was only just above normal and nothing to worry about. My aneurysm burst 1 hour after leaving a very stressful meeting at work and the sequential bleed happened 4 days later.