Hi, I'm Michael

nw42

I just happened upon this place last night when I couldn't sleep, spent the hours between 1 & 4am trawling through many threads. Not sure exactly what I was looking for, it was really interesting to learn of other peoples experiences pre & post SAH.

I'm not sure that I have anything unique to share regarding my experiences, it would seem that there is no set pattern to recovery, we all mend at our own pace. I was back home on the 7th day, I was advised not to consider work for 3mths but when I went back to discuss the results after 6weeks it was agreed that I could return to work once 2mths had elapsed. Up until that point I had done exactly as instructed, the most I did was to potter round the garden.

The way I looked at it was that if it had been a broken limb and I had attempted to do too much too soon I may well have ended up never having the same usage of the limb, I was adamant that I wasn't going to end up 'thinking with a limp' so I just did nothing.

I started back to work on Oct 1st and everything just fell into place, I work from home, on the phone, my job entails a lot of lengthy, in depth and sometimes phsycologically draining conversations, I was apprehensive, would my thought process still work in the same way, would I be still be able to think on my feet so to speak.

Luckily I haven't experienced any problems on the work front, it's like the SAH never happened in terms of mental agility etc, well it feels like that anyway.

Not sure if I'm supposed to ramble on in this particular post or whether it just by way of introduction, anyway, the reason I could not sleep last night is down to something I have carried for around 20yrs, restless leg syndrome, I only became aware it had a name in Oct last year, prior to that I just thought it was something everybody experienced, never discussed it with anyone.

It came to light because when I came home from hospital last year I had to continue with the tablets (orange ones, the name escapes me), this meant I had to wake up @ 1am & 5am every night for a month or so, I really struggled to get back to sleep at these times due to the RLS, previously it had been a minor hinderance, nothing I couldn't live with.

I spoke with my GP, described my symptoms, he identified it straight away, not rocket science I suppose but at least I now had a name for it.

I have tried various things in terms of combatting the RLS, these include dietary changes, vitamin supplements and prescribed medication, for reasons which I will be happy to explain later none of these have worked.

I found my way here lastnight because I am wondering if anyone else has the similar experience of both RLS & SAH, I know they are probably unconnected but maybe there is a reason why the RLS is now causing me so many more problems than it was prior to Aug 1st.

Again, really sorry for the ramble, it wasn't my intention but then it just flowed.

BTW, what a great place this is, so many people prepared to share their experiences in order to help others as well as themselves, I hope I am able to help someone in turn.

thanks for reading.

Michael.

Hi Michael

Could you give us more details of your SAH? What you were doing, where you were, how old you were/are etc. It all helps us to build up a picture - weird I know but it helps with getting to know you and go through your experience with you.

Look forward to chatting.

Sure, apologies for the omission.

I'm 51y/o now, so was 50 when I had the SAH.

I had been out at a party the night before and had a late one, 6am to be precise. At 17.00 I was sat at the table using a laptop, whan I stood up I got that intense pain everyone describes so vividly, the exploding head, I also had pain in my neck, I tried to go up the stairs but could not lift my foot onto the bottom step, this I feel was my first bit of good fortune, if I had got upstairs I would have just lay down thinking I was hungover, probably drifted off to sleep and that may have been the end of me.

Anyway, my wife (of just 2yrs at the time) noticed that my face wasn't exactly right, not symetrical, so she insisted on dialing 999, I was pleading with her not to, never been in an ambulance, never had a night in hospital, didn't want to start then.

Well as usual she wouldn't listen, the paramedic arrived almost immediately, they park up just down the road from where we live, next the ambulance came and off we went to Leighton Hospital in Crewe, there they did a scan and quickly put me in another ambulance, blue lights all the way to North Staffs Hospital. I had another scan sometime during the night, at 8am I was seen by some doctors, then a Mr jadun arrived, he calmly explained the problem and what he was planning to do, coiling, he did say that if this didn't work they may have to go in through the top. I signed the forms and said 'see you later' to my wife and family who were gathered round the bed, this was a very emotional moment, we all knew I may not be coming back but we didn't talk about, I did my usual and cracked jokes, bad ones as it happens, I was frightened, not for myself but for my wife, we were still in the honeymoon stages, inseparable and totally besotted with each other, still are.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room, my first thought was that the catheter they had attached was causing me discomfort, I asked them to remove it and they did. the surgery had taken 7 hours, not sure if this is the norm.

I then spent 2 days in the HDU, I wasn't an awkward patient by any means but I decided I wasn't going to eat while I had things attached to me as I wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom, I know it seems ridiculous but we are what we are and I'm a proper northern bloke, using a bedpan was not an option.

On the Weds they removed the drip and I was allowed out of bed, by Thursday I was in a normal ward and each morning I asked if I could go home, they agreed that if I was ok on the Sunday morning I could leave, I was up at 6 am, showered, shaved and waiting for the doctors rounds, that was a long wait I can tell you, anyway I was home for 4pm on the Sunday.

As said in my earlier post I just did exactly as I was told, never looked at my work once.

I think this is as big a factor as any when I consider how well I have recovered, well maybe not as big a factor as the work that Mr Jadun did, I will be forever in awe of his skills.

Here's another example of the luck I experienced, Mr Jadun is, apparently, amongst the best in his field, he left on the morning after my surgery for his annual holiday. His holidays are usually spent visiting other hospitals around the world, learning from and sharing his own knowledge with his peers, that's dedication for you.

Anyway, I've rambled again, you did ask though:-D

please feel free to ask anything, I've no problem sharing.

Just to add, I did obtain a disc from the hospital with my scan results on it, if anyone hasn't seen theirs, or just got the fleeting glimpse when shown them by the consultant, I will be happy to post them on here, I know it's my head but it may help someone to get an idea of what they look for.

Edited by nw42
omission

Mmmm, interesting article Nessie but I wonder if it is indeed an April Fool's joke?

Hi Michael, I don't know if there is any connection but I have suffered with RLS for years. It was particularly bad last night, and I still have it this morning as I sit at the computer typing. Sorry, I have no helpful solutions - just the ability to share your discomfort.

BTW fantastic SAH recovery, well done !

Mace :-P

Hello Michael and welcome to the site i only get RLS when i have taken painkillers/Tablets but i think this is just the drugs as i also find i cant sleep so the less i taje them the better hope you find some answers here and look forward tohearing from you

donna

I just only saw the date. *grin*

They should know better than release these kind of articles on a date like this..

But anyway, it is NOT a joke. ( google the big M-word and RLS and find more scources)

Talked it over with my doctor a few weeks ago. Get restless legs when I have overtired myself.

it's like the SAH never happened in terms of mental agility etc,

Hello Michael and welcome to BTG,

How lucky you are to have no mental deficits whatsoever. I consider my lack of speed up there to be hardest to deal with in terms of acceptance. I hate to think I'm not the cleverclogs I was before!:oops: I've never heard of restless Leg Syndrome. How exactly does that work. Do you find you have to actually get out of bed and move around during the night? I definitely don't have that! I sleep like a log. :-D

This site is brilliant for all our concerns and worries. There is always someone who knows how we feel to come in with reassurance and support.

Hope you continue to keep well and find something soon to relieve your RLS.

Take care

Sally x

Hi Michael, special welcome from a fellow Northener:-D

Don't wory you didn't ramble at all! We're an inquisitive bunch here, we all can find something to relate to in everyones story!

Thanks for posting and sharing.:-D

I too am one who totally empathises with you although I can offer no help or solutions. I suffered RLS prior to my SAH although certainly not as severe as it is now. I found it helped to drink plenty of water in those days!

These days I would be a nightmare on a long haul flight! It is so acute and made worse when I am over tired. :mad2: My legs seem to take on a mind of their own !

Will keep you posted if I wind anything helpful.

Good to hear from you and that your recovery is going well.

Hi Michael

Thanks for sharing - you didn't ramble and yes, I did ask :wink: and well done your wife for not listening - see, it pays off sometimes when we ignore you :lol:

You sound like you're doing really well - I was pretty much in and out too - on holiday, last day (early hours of Friday morning), head explosion, blues and twos to Barnstaple, Devon then again to Derriford, Plymouth. Operated on Saturday lunch time, up and walking Monday and discharged Tuesday (but only because my uncle lives in Liskeard Cornwall and we could stay with him).

I'm also pretty much back to how I was pre SAH - the only thing that still gets me is the fatigue if I haven't slept enough which is sometimes accompanied by headaches and dizziness :shocked:

You sound like you're staying positive though and thats a good thing - looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Michael

Welcome to BTG! Glad you have found us.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is always to good to hear how others have dealt with their SAH and how they are recovering.

That sounds like quite a long op you had. I was told mine took 3 hours and I suffered severe vasospasm during it too, but have recovered well (luckily).

Can't help with the RLS but I hope others will be able to.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Kel

Hi Michael

Welcome to BTG - good to have you here - sounds like you are doing pretty well. Sorry can't help with the RSL - not much fun if it disturbs you at night though:frown:

Look forward to seeing inside your head if you get round to putting your disc on here - I have only seen glimpses of mine and the only image that I can remember vividly is the one that was of vasospasm which was not a pretty sight.

Thanks for sharing your story and wishing you all the best for your continued recovery,

Sarah

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, also for the kind words of support, fantastic.

Nessie - Thanks for the link, never thought it was going to be that sort of place here:shock: then again you are a liberal lot over there aren't you.

You are correct that are plenty of similar references on various RLS sites, although it apparently works better for women rather than men, we'll leave it there eh:roll:

Mace - I never seem to suffer during the day, at least not naywhere near the same level as at night, it's as though my legs are independently aware of the time.

Donnamarie - I did try some medication specifically for the RLS but the side effects were not worth the benefits, they mess with your mind.

Sallym25 - yes I am very lucky in this regard, I too am a cleverclogs and would have found it hard to accept not being right all the time:biggrin:

Restless leg, yes I do have to get up when it starts, that or disturb my wife by constantly turning to try and releive it. It used to be a minor bugbear, ie an odd night here and there, since the SAH it has become a nightly occurence, eg: I was up from 2-4am last night, there is no escape from it any more. It doesn't hurt though, it's like a pins & needles type thing in that it takes over your mind.

Maggie - Thanks, I'm a Stockport lad originally.

Interesting that, like me, your RLS has got worse since your SAH, I can't help but wonder if there is a connection, or whether it's just a case of it getting worse with age, strange though that I had not let it bother me for 20yrs until last year.

Not done a flight since the SAH but you are right about the long haul point, would be tough going now.

Skippy - Correct, she did indeed do well, in fact she reminds on a fairly regular basis that I owe her my life, of course I agree with her, no really I do:-D In all seriousness I don't think I would still be here if she hadn't made the call, I never would have done it myself, always prided myself on having avoided hospital, obviously now I realise they aren't such bad places, well North Staffs isn't, the staff there were so hard working and caring, I have nothing but praise for them all.

Well I thought I did well to escape the hospital so quickly but your story is amazing, done and dusted in less than 5 days, brilliant.

Tiredness is a problem but I put that down to the RLS keeping me awake at night, I used to be a great sleeper but these days I just wander around the house during the night. I am determined to find some sort of respite from it but not via medicine, there are some real scare stories regarding the type of tablets available for it and I do have limited experience of them.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't ruining my life, every day is a pleasure since Aug 1st, it is something I will deal with in good time.

KelBel - thank you, I have often wondered if 7hrs was long for this type of surgery, yours is the first comparison I have been able to make, I suppose it depends where exactly they have to go inside the head, mine was in the circle of Willis, like I knew where that was before, it's in the middle and about level with my ears, apparently:yesnod:

Winb143 - thanks for the support.

Kempse - Thank you, I will try to post them here but I am useless with technology, not a recent occurence I hasten to add, always been the case. I have emailed them to someone before and they arrived ok, I assume the same principle applies here. If anyone can advise how to post them I will try it (they are avi files), alternatively I can email them sometime to anyone who wants a look.

I managed to get them through the hospital records department, everyone is entitled to their own records, they do charge but, for me, it was well worth it.

What's a vasospasm?:confused: Don't worry, I will look it up later.

Louise - thank you for the welcome.

Sandi K - thank you also.

Ok, I felt I wanted to reply to everyone individually to show my appreciation for the nice words, don't worry I won't drag everything out all the time, it took me ages that:biggrin:

Michael a fellow stockportonian!!! Small world lol. I was born in Stepping Hill & when my Dad had his stroke he was in Cherry tree for almost a year! (i'm from cheadle hulem originally)

Vasospasms are normally caused by the blood from the bleed irritating the blood vesels & lining of the brain. It causes veins to contract so blood flow into the brain is reduced & can cause a stroke. Fortunately for me they had me on lots of steroids after mine so they pushed my BP up & made sure more oxygen was getting to my brain when I was in need of it

Michael a fellow stockportonian!!! Small world lol. I was born in Stepping Hill & when my Dad had his stroke he was in Cherry tree for almost a year! (i'm from cheadle hulem originally)

Vasospasms are normally caused by the blood from the bleed irritating the blood vesels & lining of the brain. It causes veins to contract so blood flow into the brain is reduced & can cause a stroke. Fortunately for me they had me on lots of steroids after mine so they pushed my BP up & made sure more oxygen was getting to my brain when I was in need of it

Hi Bagpuss, I believe we are known as Stopfordians, I grew up in Hazel Grove but know Cheadle Hulme well, in fact I know everywhere in Stockport as I used to have a black cab licenced there, some of my family and most of my old friends still live there.

thanks for the heads up (no pun intended) on vasospasms, I recall being told about the blood needing to be dispersed, apparently there is a drain at the back of the brain and they did say that sometimes it may get blocked and that it would be very painful.

I suppose looking back I did have some pains after but nothing came near to the initial explosion so I considered it part of recovery.

I do wonder whether I have really had such an easy and seemingly complete recovery, some days I do get up with a bad headache, I've never been great in the mornings.

Even right now my head feels like I am wearing a crash helmet, no pain, just a fuzzy feeling, slight pressure, who knows what goes on in there.

Glad you are making good progress, keep the faith.

Thanks Sonia, I agree it does seem a friendly place, nice to read how others have coped/recovered, there doesn't seem to be a set pattern though, everyone has their own story but, as someone pointed out earlier, there are bits & pieces that resonate with someone or other.

Still trying to work out how to attach scan file, struggling.:mad2:

Hey there

At the top of the forum page you'll see "Gallery" click on this and a drop down menu appears - if you choose add album you can create your own photo album in there to share pics with us. Once there you'll probably see a "browse" button - this will take you to your PCs hard drive and then you select the pics by double clicking - and it should take you back to the gallery page where you then click upload - someone correct me if I'm wrong please :lol:

Hey there

At the top of the forum page you'll see "Gallery" click on this and a drop down menu appears - if you choose add album you can create your own photo album in there to share pics with us. Once there you'll probably see a "browse" button - this will take you to your PCs hard drive and then you select the pics by double clicking - and it should take you back to the gallery page where you then click upload - someone correct me if I'm wrong please :lol:

Hi Skippy, thanks but I tried that, was fine until I tried to upload and it said 'invalid file', I think this may be because they are avi files, they probably need converting into something compatible with this site. This is where I grind to a halt for now, no worries I will keep trying.

Hello and welcome to BTG, I also suffered from RLS after my SAH, I think I had it before but not as bad, I can't really remember! :) I still do get RLS occasionally, but it is slowly going away as I now sleep a lot better ( it is now four years since my SAH). When it does happen, I get up have a cup of tea and watch tv for a bit or read a book, then go back to sleep.

Vivien