One Year ago if you had told me.......

ClareM

Well here I am, 1 year down the line and glad to be here.

I often wonder if I had not gone running that night if I would have had my NASAH, something I will never know. What I do know is that this event in my life has had enormous consequences for me, some good, some bad but mostly positive. When I parked up that night I could never have imagined that I would not get behind a steering wheel again for 9 months, that I would not work again for 3 months and that the following day I would undergo a lifesaving operation.

All a little hard to believe now but true all the same and I am eternally grateful to the people who saved my life. From the running group leader who suggested an ambulance, the sweet ambulance girl who was so understanding to the Surgeon at Wessex Neuro who I don't actually remember!

Through all of this year my family have been fantastic and we have all become closer. Strange how events such as this bring everyone closer together. You find out who is really there for you and sadly who is not.

I am about to embark in a new phase of my life with a new job in the near future. I will find out if my rearranged  brain can cope with learning new things. I am sure I will forget peoples names and where the toilet is but luckily I have my son working with me so will have to rely on his help!

I know I am lucky to be alive and celebrate that fact today and everyday. I also know I am lucky to have found Behind the Grey and all the wonderful people within it.

My husband bought me flowers and wrote me a poem today. So sweet and caring, he knows what a big day this is for me!post-1840-0-33289600-1455112108_thumb.jp

Clare xx

• Like 10

Congratulations Clare on your first year NASAH  Anniversary :)

You have achieved so much...be very proud ! 

Beautiful flowers and beautiful words from your husband to you on your special day :) so lovely xx

Wishing you all the very best for the future with the new phase of your life, with your new job....go girl, you are an inspiration  ! xx

Have a wonderful day celebrating life with your sweet caring husband and family.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 1

Congratulations Clare on your first NASAH Anniversary, :)

Like Tina said you should be very proud of how far you have come,

I wish you all the very best in your new job, I`m sure you will love it.

I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating this very special day

with your husband and family, you deserve it.

I have found you to be a very determined lady and you have been

very inspirational.

Well done with all you have achieved :)  

Love

Michelle xx

• Like 1

Well done Clare on reaching and reflecting on your first year post NASAH.  That first year is probably one of the hardest but you have coped admirably and yes it is touching when so many kind people step in to help in the sequence of events.  Then the treasured family of course who remain there during recovery and beyond.

I hope all goes well with your new job - good luck.

Sarah

• Like 1

Congratulations Clare - the flowers and poem are beautiful.

The first year was the hardest for me - getting past that first anniversary was nerve racking but it got easier after.  I'm ten years this year and though I still feel the head on bad days it doesn't rule my life anymore and isn't my first and last waking thought.

Onwards and upwards my dear xx

• Like 3

Congratulations Clare

Well done. It has been great to see your positive journey over the twelve months.

You did right to keep re-appraising your return to work- and recently the job itself.

So glad you have managed return to your running- which you obviously enjoy so much.

I think I will retire from the poetry and get your hubby`s contact no. ! He wrote very well. Lovely surprise- poem and flowers.

Take care and wishing you a  good start to the new job.

Subs

• Like 2

Hi Clare,

Congratulations on reaching the one year mark and also for all you have achieved in that year. It really encourages me to hear from people, such as you, who have made those positive changes post-SAH, such as getting a new job.

A lovely poem and flowers off hubby. Hope you have a good day celebrating.

Gemma xx

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Yes Subs the running is back in my life in a big way! Funny, last year I was taken up Portsdown Hill in an ambulance (to the hospital). Last night I RAN up it. I have made so many friends in the running club, most of whom I would never have met had I not had my SAH. That has to be a positive!

Clare xx

• Like 1

Congratulations Clare I am sure your love for life and your Laughter helped you get this far well done Pal xx

You have the fighting spirit we all need and to be able to laugh when we mess up.

Once again Happy Your Whatever you want to call it Day xx lol

So Good to see how far you have come on xxxx Keep it going pal xxxx

Love

Win xxxxxxx Nice thought from Hubs and Family XX XX   

• Like 2

Claire, well done for getting through the past year, and for all you have achieved, and nice one for getting back into the running so well. 

I have had similar thoughts to you, that if I hadn't been training that night, or the type of training i was doing was different, could I have escaped it, would I be some where quite different now? And then I think it could have happened while I'd been travelling, often run when I'm away and depending on where I was the outcome could have been quite different for me, so I've come to the conclusion, it could have been a lot worse!

Year one, down, well done, good luck with the new job, on with year 2, and think with all that you've achieved in one year, next year who knows!

• Like 4

Well done Claire you have made an amazing recovery and it is lovely your husband bought those flowers, I know your determination and strength have been inspiring to many on BTG. I think the next twelve months will be another adventure with your new job and wish you lots of luck in that.

Take Care

Sharon x

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Clare!  Keep moving forward.  I suffered my NASAH while running also.  I was told running had nothing to do with it, but it sure seems like a lot of people were running when they had one.

You may never know what life brings, but at least it is life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

True Bronco,

While I was in early stages of my SAH a man who made our panels at work had a SAH and he died, my hubby said it scared the pants off him.  He didn't run either

As he/hubby put 2 and 2 together and made it = Win next !!   Cheeky !!

I never run but I did sit ups, someone pick Keith and Subs off the floor ha ha  but now my neck feels tight where shunt is so cannot do sit ups.   Never mind !! scared of pulling tubes out.

Be Well All 

Win signing out ...I'll Be Back Clare and All  lol xxx