hi im Paul from Sutton in Ashfield

Scoobs

Hi im paul

I had my SAH jan 2 2012 Id gone to bed early hours trying to make the xmas holiday last as long as i could, kissed the girlfriend good night 15 mins later i was rolling on the floor on the landing in pain felt like a rugby team was kicking my head in, i just wanted to rip my head off my shoulders girlfriend called 999 for a ambulance they took details then called back 5 mins later checking that i needed a ambulance the lady on the line said to my girlfriend can u drive him to hospital my girlfriend panick'd an just said yes so now she had to try dress me dress herself an get me down stairs once at the door she remembered it was my car on the drive at the back she never driven it . while at the door i felt sick so she passed me a little bucket finally in the car all windows froze up so i tryed to help by putting heaters on an demisted the car , off we set girlfriend panicking an checking on me as im being sick by now ( to this day i dont know how she coped with the stress) She drove the 4 miles to kings mill at Mansfield . We parked up in the car park just outside casualty i got out an staggered to casualty passing 2 ambulances parked up with four staff inside watching me i walked straight into the hospital where the ambulance drop patients off a nurse turned around an asked me if i was ok i just said its my brain she got me a stretcher the last thing i remember was my girlfriend sitting by me an holding my hand then it all went black.

im now 4 months on emotions shot an a taste in my mouth that just over powers anything i eat but i'm luckier then most they the only things that have gone . if i'm honest i feel like i've cheated death ( sorry im fighting the tears back as im typing )

i woke up later in Nottingham QMC id had a drain in my head an my aneurysm had been coiled

Edited by Scoobs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the BTG family Paul& never apologise for your emtions, this is the one place its safe to let them out. I am sure the cheating death thing has all hit us at some stage in our recoveries & even now I have difficulty dealing with that thought!!

You are in very early days of recovery so its best to rest as much as possible & allow your brain to heal in its own time. Do a little at a time until you feel you can cope with more & drink lots of water. I sometimes get the taste thing but it does get better, in the early days after my op they were giving me sodium tablets & that made everything taste salty (yuk!!)

Did you have any treatment for your anni? There are lots of both coiled & clipped people on here & a fair few non anni people too so no matter what there is always someone who has been through it before you.

Take care & chin up xxxx

Hi Paul, nice to meet you, albeit the reasons for doing so are not the best! You have done well up to now and I think your girlfriend needs some praise for dealing with all that - I'm sure you're very proud of her. I'm glad you've found this site which I'm sure you will find useful and comforting - it has certainly helped so many of us on here as we have travelled along the road of recovery, having been struck by this rather scary event.

Gill has given some good advice regarding rest etc. It is quite common to "overdo" things and then be set back by tiredness/fatigue as your brain has to work a bit harder now whilst recovering and doesn't always like it!

At least the valuable platinum is well hidden!

Sarah

Hi Paul

Mines platinum or so I am told....you will get better but I had to change lifestyle..sob....no more vino collapso for me or ciggies..

To be honest....I do not miss any of the above....(liar Win you miss the vino)....

You will get better Paul...just take it slow....and keep calm...no stress only happy thoughts....

Good luck on recovery....and give your g/f a kiss and say thanks lol xx

I know my family went thru hell..keep chin up Paul

Good Luck

WinB143 xx

thanx for the nice welcome looks like im gonna have to change my lifestyle too im a hgv driver but dvla took both my licences off me car licence for 6 months from march 14th for some strange reason . an i cant get my hgv back till im down to 2%or less chance of fits. to be honest im not sure i want to drive a 40 ton truck knowin that this could happen again even though docs say its fixed... guess my confidence is low at the min im smiling honest

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the wonderful family of BTG.

At times my journey of recovery was a dark and lonely place, this site has been a godsend to me.

You're early on in your recovery, you need to have patience and understanding with yourself.

Have you read 'a letter from your brain' on the home page, under inspiration. It's a fantastic piece of writing that still grounds me when I read it.

Your'll go through a roller coaster of emotions, just ride through each one.

Get plenty of rest and drink lots of water.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

Hi Paul

Welcome to the site and to the family - I live just up the road from you in Nottingham.

Its a pretty scary time at the moment and everything you do or think will revolve around your SAH. Your driving licence being taken is par for the course - mine was "taken" from me for 4 months. Once they're satisfied that you have no or little chance of seizures then it be returned to you. As for it happening again, yo should have had a full scan during your op which would have shown up any other anni's - mine was nearly six years ago (also coiled with platinum) and I'm pretty much back to normal (the only thing I don't do now is exercise cos it hurts my head).

You're early on in your recovery so make sure you get plenty of rest and drink lots of water. Make sure you give that girlfriend of yours a medal too - she was amazing.

There's a wealth of experience and advice on here so feel free to ask questions, vent frustrations and share laughter - we all have great senses of humour - another good weapon needed to get you through recovery.

Take care of you.

Welcome Paul,

Nice to say hello along with all the other caring folks on this site. We all know the many emotions you are feeling and going through right now.

Time is what is needed, as you do it in your way.

Start slowly. I remember feeling so chuffed with myself just being able to have my first shower on my own. It takes all your energy just to do a small thing. Take your journey at your pace. Wish you well on your recovery.

Take care both.

Love Sonia xxxx

PS One of the questions I asked before I left hospital after my coiled would I be ok going through the airports scanners. Yes they said!!!!

hi paul im Cath from S Wales im new on here too everyone has been amazing and kind. i had my sah in nov last year also had a coil. (perhaps my head is worth more now). im still waiting to hear when i can drive hopefully wont be long .even though on bad days i dont feel i can drive it would be nice to have the option. you should read letter from my brain it gave me understanding even if it did make me cry. one thing ive learnt since chatting to everyone , this recovery buisness is a slow process. your gf sounds amazing , my parents came to my rescue so did the ambulance service thankfully ,im not back in work yet got an MRI on the 23rd then go from there. keep writing catch u soon x

Join the club. My SAH was on 1/9/10. Unconscious for 6 days. Platinum coils, three goes at a llumbar puncture. Felt like I'd met the same rugby team you did, DVLA took my licence for six months but I have it back now. When you get it back you'll find yourself taking a lot more care. You'll probably be a better driver as a result. It is a slow process getting better. I still suffer with fatigue. My pituitary gland is damaged apparently, it distributes growth hormone around your body which affects your general stamina and muscle strength. Doesn't affect everyone. I went back to work after 6 months and have been back over a year but I was getting home and going straight to bed. I am now off work and going back to hospital next Thursday, when hopefully, I can start HRT - yes I'm a bloke going on HRT, I think. I didn't even know men suffered with this - but ladies you have my undying sympathy and admiration if this is what you suffer with. It is incredibly exhausting, mentally and physically because there's no escape from it. But, hey, I'm alive and getting on with it, and the support you get on this site is superb. Paul and Cath it is a long road back and it can be bumpy but as one or two will say on this site, even the longest journey starts with a single step.

hats off to the paralysed lady who just completed the london marathon after 16 days with robotic legs to assist her.

I feel lucky by comparison.

Rant over - welcome!!

Macca

hi macca you sound very positive , i havent felt much of that lately lol . ooh i forgot about the lumber puncture what a joy they were . no wonder recovery is slow . apart from short term memory loss my mind is intact and slightly annoyed at my body too be honest dont do what i want it to do . i was under the illusion that i would be back in work after 3 weeks ha ha that was before i heard of fatigue . trying not to be too hard on myself this week not beat6ing myself up for going to sleep early . the worst thing is the lack of motivation and boredum, how do i combat that ?

Thanks Cath. Don't beat yourself up - the rugby team's already done that ha ha!. I suffer short term memory loss too! Motivation can be a problem. I deal with it by listening to something that makes me laugh to put me in a good mood. Also doing things with other people to get you started because that is the hardest bit, then you keep going because you then don't want to let them down - that's the guilt complex kicking in. Don't overdo it though because you will suffer next day if you do. As long as they can see you've tried your best they won't expect any more!

Do things in what I call 'manageable chunks' Remember not to make a race out of anything or become too competitive - remember the Tortoise beat the Hare - you'll get there in the end.

Welcome to BTG!!!

Macca

Edited by Macca
poor spelling!

Hi Paul

Warm welcome to the site, glad you found us..

I have that scrap mental value too also sealed with platinum...

We all have that low confidence & fear but it will ease in time honest....

take care

Scrap metal value - one of the nurses in the HDU told me the platinum coils were valued at £500 each - I have 13 (unlucky for some!!) My partner threatens to trade my head in for a new car :(

Depression, lacking motivation, being patient with the recovery, it all takes time. I am now 7mths post SAH - initially I remember the surgeon telling me that just making a cup of tea would exhaust me ... hah ha , I laughed, don't be silly .... boy was he right. But as time goes on you will look back and realise that each week does get easier and slowly you find yourself being able to do more and more.

Be patient, drink plenty of water and keep smiling ... :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome I did start to read A letter from your brain but emotions kicked in an the water works started. Ill try to message every day an fill people in on how things are goin I didn't tell u that I was rushed into hospital last Tuesday with pains in my chest the girlfriend wanted some t shirts for work an why we was in there I got pains in my chest I did joke an told her I was havin a heart attack why she's lookin at t shirts came out of the shop came home had a coffee an checked on nhs direct with my symptoms I was shocked as the screen on my iPhone went red an said call 999 oh how we laughed the paramedic parked up outside an didn't come to the door I said as a joke he's waitin for the ambulance as it pulled up. 8 ecg's later an a ride with the blues an twos going they releasted me said it must of been muscular

Gosh Paul, you and your girlfriend have been through so much!

Men and shopping don't go well together! Mrs Scoobs needs to shop with the girlies from now on!

Seriously, glad all was ok.

Please, please try to read a letter from your brain, yes, it will make you cry, it still chokes me and I've read it often. Believe me, it's well worth the read.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Hi

I'm Janet. Three coiled aneurysms after one ruptured in Jan 2008. Two still untreated cos they are too small. Sorry for being a bit dopey !! But I am trying to find A Letter From my Brain ! Where can I find it ?

Hi Paul

Welcome to BTG! :)

As others have said, keep up the water intake to keep you hydrated and help reduce the headaches.

You girlfriend was very brave that night and got you to the hospital in good time. We are glad you are here to tell the tale.

Ensure you have lots of rest and learn not to overdo it. We all still overdo it now and again...you get a day where you are on top of the world and think you can do everything like your pre-sah self, and then the next day you are brought back down to earth... :oops: It takes time to learn to listen to your body and notice the signals that you are over-doing it. My signals are tiredness, noise-sensitivity, extreme light-sensitivity and struggling to recall words. I know I have really overdone it then! I have to have a rest/sleep and recharge my brain.

Things do get better with time though, but I would suggest looking back each month and seeing how far you have come as you may not notice changes week on week. This recovery process can be a long winding road, with ups and downs along the way. I think Skippy has said in the past 'you can take as many pit-stops as you want or need on your recovery journey' ;)

Take care

Kel x

I'm sure we've all been thru it it's now tryin to get the benefits that's gettin the girlfriend down an me seein her cryin starts me off oh happy days. Think I'll go to bed with a coat hanger in my mouth so I'll wake up with a smile on my face in the morning

Welcome Paul, what a scary time you have had of it and also for your girlfriend, I always said it was much worse for my family than for me, because once the lights went off I was blissfully unaware most of the time what was going on, the taste in your mouth is a common side effect and will fade with time, when I first came out of hospital everything tasted foul even my beloved chocolate, I wish you well and hope being on this site gives you some support, Jill :wink: